High Security Deadbolt Locks in Cambridge
Most people know what a Deadbolt Lock is, but be careful because not all deadbolt locks are created equal. There are differences and these differences could mean preventing someone from breaking into your home. I am going to give you the information you need to make an informed decision when you walk into a store to purchase a deadbolt lock. Technicians from High Security Locks Cambridge provide fast, inexpensive and convenient locksmith services.
The first decision you need to make is do I buy a single cylinder or double cylinder deadbolt lock? A single cylinder is normally used on a solid door with no glass; this type uses a key on the outside and a thumb-turn lever on the inside. A double cylinder deadbolt uses a key on both the outside and inside, this type is normally used when there is glass on or near the door. Once you decide on the lock cylinder type, you should look for the following:
- The locking bolt should be at least 1″ in length (past the door edge). This will prevent prying the door open.
- The locking bolt should be made out of solid steel with a hardened steel insert. This will prevent someone from sawing the locking bolt.
- There should be a “Free Spinning” guard around the outside of the lock. This prevents someone from using a wrench to turn the deadbolt lock.
- The inner lock mechanism should be protected by a steel shroud. This shroud goes over the mechanism and between the outer and inner door.
- Choose a high security lock cylinder. This will prevent lock picking.
- Metal strike with 2.5″ to 3″ bolts. The metal strike fits on the door jamb; this is what the locking bolt protrudes into. The 2.5″ to 3″ bolts are very important; you want these to screw into the door jamb, then into the supporting frame that supports the door jamb.
Some of the other questions will be color and finish. Make sure that the finish is weather resistant; this will prevent the lock from losing its color and finish. Also, do you want all the locks to be keyed alike? This is where one key will open all your locks.
I don’t think that I could discuss deadbolt locks without mentioning the door itself. You could buy the best deadbolt lock, but if the door that it mounts on is inferior, you will have no security. The door should be solid, meaning solid wood, steel or fiberglass. A wood door should have no rotten areas and a steel door should have no rust. The door jamb should be solid and it should be supported by a solid frame.
To properly secure your home, every exterior door should have a good quality deadbolt lock.